Kay is the word. Write is what I do.

Beware.







Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Muslim girl says "whaaaaat"

Today's a relatively slow day. I sit here in the library with my fingers poised over the keyboard keys and for once in my life I don't know what to say. This moment should go down in history books across the worlds. I always have something to say, which is why this experience is so disconcerting.

Ahh, I think I've found a topic. You can all heave a sigh of relief, all five of you readers. Maybe I should preface this with saying that even though Some Americans can be accused of stereotyping Muslims, so can Muslims themselves. And that makes me sad. I'm currently taking two creative writing classes this semester: poetry technique and fiction technique. Well on my first day of fiction technique class, I met this girl named Nadia who turned out to be Muslim. You have no idea how excited I was because ,I kid you not, There aren't any Muslims in any of my other classes. Well I was expressing my excitement when she interrupted and said "Listen, I'm a corrupt Muslim and I want to warn you before hand that some of my writing may offend you".

Ironically, I was more offended with that statement than most of the writing she has produced, although there was this one paragraph that she had written for one of our assignments that goes something like this "I grew up in a restrictive culture where women aren't encouraged to do stuff for themselves", and something about "The men in Saudi Arabia that tell me what to do. F**** them". Shocked does not even begin to cover what I was feeling when I read this, but ridicule soon followed.

Sometimes I feel like going up to her and telling her "Who are these men that you speak of?" and "Maybe they are voices in your head." or "Hon, it's pretty clear that you have no real understanding of your religion. You do realize that sheiks come from all countries over the world and that there are a considerable amount of female sheiks too. Maybe you're getting Islam and Catholicism mixed up". Of course I say this all in my head with a what I would imagine to be a voice dripping with sarcasm.

Even then I didn't say much to her because I thought to myself "You know, it's obvious this girl has some serious issues with her parents. Just let her be" but honestly I am just sick and tired of her repeated dire warnings of "My short story will offend you" that I don't want to be nice to her anymore. I definitely don't appreciate the fact that she's projecting her pre-conceived ideas about Religious Muslims on me. It's so sad, that I get more respect from atheists than from her. Whatevs, it's obvious that she wants to open the doors for debate between me and her and I'm just going to piss her off, by not giving her the time of day.

No comments:

Post a Comment